Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Dad (2/2/09)

I thought I would give everyone an update on my dad.

Today was a difficult day. It started well with a Physical Therapy session that went good. However later in the day we met with a neuro-doctor who delivered serious news. My dad has suffered a stroke. It has caused his right side to not function and caused him to lose the ability to speak. It also caused his seizures. It was a small stoke that grew larger.

The immediate concern is his seizures. None of the meds have stopped them. If they continue they will be permanent because the brain will re-wire itself. The doctor recommended intubation with heavy meds to bring his brain function to zero. They will then slowly bring him back up in a few days, hopefully with no seizures. If he continues to have seizures they will do the process over again. If not he will be slowly taken off the respirator and then moved to a physical therapy/rehab facility.

This is completely unexpected and a series of worst case scenarios. The surgeon told us today that the chances of all that has happened to him was less than 5%. Today(Monday) was the day he was suppose to go home. Instead we are looking at a long and difficult recovery. At this time there is no way to tell what and how much damage was done. We have no idea what to expect.

I know many of you are praying for my dad. Thank you and please continue to do so. Also, please pray for my step-mom Missy (believe it or not, her name is...Melissa Canney...weird...I know = ) This has been unbelievably difficult on her. She has had to make decisions that are difficult for any wife. Ask for strength and wisdom.

Thank you,
Joe

No comments: