Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Good to Hear Your Voice

Tonight at about 6:00, my cell phone rang. The caller ID said Missy, but the voice was nothing close to Missy's. My dad talked to me for the first time in four weeks and one day. The last time he spoke to me was the Wednesday before the surgery. I called him during Lost and we briefly talked about the about the next day's events. Not being able to talk to him for the past month has been difficult. Not because we talk all the time. But rather because any time I call to talk, he is always available. I know that not being able to hear from Dad has been difficult for many. A lot of people depend on Dad and his steady advice and encouragement. It was great to hear from him.


Now, do not let me lead you astray. As many know and as has been reported hear at Canney Family, Dad has been talking for a week or two. Tonight, however, was my first time talking to him as he was well enough to use the phone. Our conversation was short. It was mainly me blabbing excitedly about various things that are going on in my life. I was surprised to hear from him and just rambled about anything that popped into my mind. One funny exchange occurred towards the end of our conversation. I told him that it was good to hear his voice. He responded by saying "It is good to get my voice out." I thought at the time that it was an interesting and telling statement.


There is more good news to report. It was actually the reason for Dad's call. He has been moved from his recovery room to a rehab room! He will do his rehab at Riverside. This is the moment we have been waiting for. The time in which the active and visible recovery can begin. The answer to many prayers! Dad is also able to swallow. He ate three 'real' meals today! It has been four weeks and one day since his last meal of actual food.


Now is a great time to offer your encouragement to Dad. Day in and day out, the experts will be working to get Dad home. Let us all join together in prayer and support to make it happen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is really good to hear that Jim is doing better and on his way to recovery. Please let him know that we think of him everyday and look quite frequently throughout the day for updates.
Think of the family also. Tell Jim that we said hi and will talk to him soon.

Love you all
Joan Gordon & family