Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Thirteen

Dad has been busy with his therapy sessions, getting on with the business of getting better! Monday was a good day of therapy. He had two sessions of each therapy. I was able to sit in on one of them, speech. They are doing some evaluation work on him, so they had him answer different questions and problem solve. It can be funny to see him sarcastically or humorously answer a question or two. Usually the therapist is not sure what to make of such answers. She will watch him closely for a grin or some facial expression that lets her know if he is serious or not. I take these as signs that the ole Bim is still rattling around in there. She had him do some math problems too. It was all operational stuff, moving from the simple to a bit more complex. He missed a few, but I was impressed with his division skills...quick...what is 377 divided by 29? Put down the paper and pencil...Dad solved it mentally!

Physical therapy went well as Dad climbed some stairs and he said occupational therapy was easy.

Above all I am pleased with the attitude I saw Dad have. He worked hard, listened to the nurses and therapists, and had a good attitude throughout the days. Therapy can be exhausting. My wife Melissa and I had lunch with Dad on Monday after he had already had three sessions. We got back to his room with only an hour to rest before 90 minutes of therapy would begin. After the afternoon sessions were done, Dad plopped into bed. He followed that up with a "dang it, they're going to come get me for dinner soon." It was neat to see him after he got back in bed though. A few times he closed his eyes with a soft, relaxing smile on his face. It was a tired smile, but a good tired.

Again, thank you for your support. The amount of cards in Dad's room is amazing! I flipped through two or three and one of them just happened to mention this blog. That was neat for me to read, but of course this is not about me. I know many people are keeping up to date with the blog, so I will keep it up!

May God's blessings rest on all of us! Amen.

PS The answer to the division problem?? Did you solve it yet? If so, you now understand the title of this blog! =)

No comments: