Monday, December 01, 2008

Sabbath Living

Over the past week I asked God to show me where our small group should go for the next few weeks. What came to my mind was the fact that we will look at what Biblical marriage is after the new year and how that it is the opposite of what the world says. Thus to prepare us we examined antithesis and what God says about the world. Please examine the following verses...

James 4:4-10
James 1:27
Romans 12:1-2
1 John 2:15-17
John 15:18-19
John 18:36

After examining what God says about the world, look at God Himself...
Rev 1:8
Malachi 3:6
James 1:17

Next, it is important to look at the Ten Commandments...
Exodus 20
Deuteronomy 5

A personal observation is that most Christians believe and honor all the commandments sans one. Most believe is it is sin to break nine of them, but if you mention the Sabbath they say..."well that is just an Old Testament thing. Our culture is different...the world is different." But we know what God says about the world and our relation to it.

So I challenged my small group to observe the Sabbath.

Melissa and I have agreed to. On Sunday we will rest from our work, gather with the Saints to celebrate what God has done for us, to feast and to rely on Him to provide for us. I invite your families to join us. We talked in detail what we think it means to observe the Sabbath and I will share more later. Now I ask you to look at the scripture, pray and discuss it with your family to see what you think.

To go back the the original idea, this is one way we can be the antithesis to the world.

I pray that this finds you with a open heart and mind. Comment if you have any questions.

No comments: