Thursday, July 27, 2006

Run On

I thought I would post a bit of an update on my running. Being here at the beach has been a huge blessing for my running. As I like to say/think...I am living the life.
Living the Life has a certain meaning to it within the running community. Basically it means you sleep, eat and run. And that is my life currently.
It has been an interesting Journey since May of 2001, when I began running...

  • May of '01 I opened the newspaper and saw an add for the Pro Football Hall of Fame 10K in late July. I told my girlfriend(one Melissa Barber) "I am going to run this" She said "how far is it?" "I dunno" I replied. Well, later discovered it was 6.2 miles and I did run it. 37:58 . 39th place. Age group - 1st place.
  • That was it - I was hooked. I had not had a lot of positive feedback in my other athletic endeavors...but this??!! This was awesome.
  • Oct '01 - Columbus Marathon - 2:52
  • April '02 - Boston Marathon - 2:56
  • Oct '02 - Columbus - 2:41 26 miles on my 26th bday, good for 26th place!
  • Oct '03 - Columbus - 2:34 13th place
  • Have not run one since.
  • '04 - injury
  • '05 - a great running year...big miles, fastest race times, but an overtraining injury in Oct when I was preparing to run the Philly marathon in Nov.
  • '06 - it has been an interesting year. I was getting in good shape...then ouch -

  • I fell in April. That set things back a bit. I got back to running, but then I had a lot of distractions...end of the school year, moving, etc... All sorts of things. But I am now here in Strathmere, NJ Living the Life.

A quick update of my last three weeks...

  1. July 3 - 9 : 90 miles, Pitman Four Mile race - not good
  2. July 10 - 16 : 100 miles, Avalon 5 mile race - went ok, still slow
  3. July 17 - 23 : 108 miles, Avalon 5K - still slow...

This week I have been heading to the track to start putting some speed in these legs. We will see...I am running another 5K, in Atlantic City, this Sunday. Normally I would never race this much, but I have only run ONE race this year, before July. Also, I am using them as workouts. The 'plan' is to run Philly in Nov, IF I stay healthy. Let's pray so...

Run On and God Bless

1 comment:

Saul said...

That photo on the right looks a lot like a chicken wing. It look me a long time to decipher that body part.

Keep runnin'.