Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ellody Hope, Update I

I hope this blog finds all of you well. Some of you are aware of the situation, but I thought I would update everyone. Please feel free to forward this message to anyone whom you feel will pray for our little girl.

Ellody (6 weeks old) started the week with a cough that I'm certain came from her 2 older sisters who just cannot get enough of her! Anyway, the cough persisted and by Wednesday night, she was working very hard to breathe. Joe and I debated bringing her into the ER Thursday around 4 am, but I made the decision to wait it out until the later morning to call/take her into the pediatrician.

I made the call at 7:30 Thurs. morning to the answering service of my ped. She IMMEDIATELY called back telling me not to wait another minute and to take her right to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Penn.) or Dupont (which is in Delaware). With a frantic call to my mom to come right away to be with the girls and throwing random things into a diaper bag for the baby, I was out the door within an hour and on my way to CHOP.

I entered through the ER and they took her right back and listed her as "critical." She was immediately given a rescue breathing treatment which did nothing for her. They gave her another one shortly after with different medicine which helped a tiny bit, but not enough. So, she was admitted.

After a battery of tests, it was determined that she has a severe case of RSV. RSV is a respiratory virus that presents as a bad cold in older kids/adults but is very dangerous for newborns. There is no treatment for RSV, they just treat the symptoms.

Ellody was being suctioned (small tubes inserted into her nose and down her throat) every 1-2 hours and receiving chest physical therapy as well. While difficult to watch for a mom this treatment has been working well, especially since it has allowed her to nurse more comfortably and not aspirate.
She did well all day Thursday, but the nights have been rough. She had to be put on constant oxygen early Friday morning. She remains on the steady oxygen. They have tried weaning her off of that, but that did not go well and they actually had to increase it.

So, here we sit...Saturday morning. Last night was not good. She had 3 episodes in which her heart rate dropped significantly which had everyone in a panic and a nursing session that was a nightmare! Not sure what that was about, but she is doing better now.

I have already been told this morning that we will not be going home today.

Specific Prayer:
*that Ellody continues to remain fever-free (a fever would mean lots of painful tests for her and obviously an infection somewhere)

*that the nursing continues to go well and she is able to keep most of her meals in so that no IV is needed

*peace of mind for Joe and I as it is difficult to watch someone so tiny struggle so much

*wisdom for the staff here at CHOP (this place is absolutely incredible and I am so thankful God has us here...they are the BEST)

*comfort for Addison and Emerson
Joe did bring them to the hospital last night so that I could go down and eat dinner with them. But, obviously, they cannot come up here.

*SLEEP!!!

I will do my best to keep you all posted.

Love,
Melissa

No comments: