Saturday, November 22, 2008

Football and Classical Education

So I watched my beloved Buckeyes put a whooping on the Wolverines of Michigan. It was our fifth win over them in a row and seven wins in the last eight years, which co-insides with the tenure of Jim Tressel, Mr. Sweater Vest - The Senator.

About eight years ago, when Tressel was hired, I listened to his press conference as I drove to Columbus for the Ohio High School Baseball Coaches Conference. A reporter asked the exact question I wanted an answer to...what kind of offensive system are you bringing coach?? The answer was wonderful...Coach Tressel basically said I bring no set system. I adapt to the strengths of my players. If I have a featured running back, we will feature him. If I have a strong armed QB we will take advantage of it. And if anyone has watched the Bucks for the past eight seasons, that is exactly what they have done.

Last winter Michigan decided to hire Rich Rodriguez as their coach. I did not hear the press conference when they hired him, but I doubt anyone asked what system he was bringing. Anyone who pays any attention to college football knew exactly what Michigan was getting. Rodriguez is a one system man.


So what does this have to do with eddy-cation? Everything I say. Bethel Prep (the school that employs me) is a liberal arts school. Liberal comes from liberty which means freedom. A Liberal Arts education gives the learner just that...freedom. Freedom to become whatever he or she wants because a true liberal arts education teaches a person HOW to think and HOW to be a life long learner. In other words, it is people who can adapt to virtually any situation because they know HOW to think. They can use their skills to adapt.

Contrast that with most schools, elementary through college, today. Where is the focus? In getting students on to a 'track'. Communications...education...nursing...whatever. Students take tests to determine what track they belong on (in high school) or declare a major (in college). They are then prepared for the next four to eight years to perform in exactly that field. Never mind the fact that people are switching jobs and careers at a faster rate than ever. Our schools prepare them to do a job which virtually none of them will be doing in five years.

So back to football. Who is Tressel? He is the classically educated mind. Able to think and adapt to what he has in front of him.

Who is Rich Rodriguez? He is the modernly educated child. He has one system and is unable to adapt to the resources around him.

There are many true Liberal Arts colleges still alive and producing wonderful fruit in America. What is fascinating is that they have NO (or one) major. That is it.

No comments: